Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hello Audrey!

Early last Saturday morning after having been in the hospital since Thursday evening for a surprise induction at nearly a week overdue, I had my (10-pound, 4-ounce!!) daughter Audrey.  It was all somehow less surreal than I expected--a rerun of the Giants game was on on the TV, the doctor was such a cheerleader I kept almost bursting out laughing when I was pushing, and then I just thought the doctor was being encouraging and I hadn't believed her when she said we were almost there, and then, suddenly, Audrey came into the world!  And then all of a sudden the whole world shifted and there were three of us, and she was here, and completely engrossing and demanding and enthralling. The doctor was telling me she was HUGE, and I was crying and excited, and Audrey was squalling, and J was watching and smiling.
She was examined by the NICU team; I was given stitches; I asked J to take a picture of her face since she was being worked on and I was trapped in bed; she was given to J to hold; she was given back to me and I got to hold her for the first time; my parents and brother, who'd been waiting at the hospital, came in to see her.  Then she was whisked away to the nursery as I was taken to the postpartum unit (it all felt much too soon; the hospital is a well-oiled machine) and J texted me pictures of her as I waited for her to come back, missing both of them.  Then she was back and everything was one delirious, sleepless blur and then a parade of visitors started trickling in--everyone thrilled beyond thrilled to meet her. 
 Later on her birthday--though it felt like an eternity later--my favorite Giants pitcher threw a no-hitter!  Happy birthday, little girl.
 She has long, long toes and funny little toenails that don't stretch all the way across.  And she had dragon-talon fingernails before J painstakingly cut them off.  (It was basically surgery, he said, at least stress-wise.)
She also was born with these natural highlights in her hair--all the doctors and nurses and CNAs and everyone who saw her commented on her weight and her hair.  Which I loved because of course I feel like my baby is completely remarkable.
She's spent her first ten days in the world sleeping and eating and blinking around trying to focus on all the new and probably confusing things around her, and being held and photographed and cooed over by all the many many people who adore her.
When she flops against you and lets you hold her it's the best thing in the world.  <3 nbsp="" p="">
And I think at ten days old she feels so much different and older already.  I feel simultaneously frantic about the end of these sweet newborn days and excited about all the things she'll learn to do--like recognize us, or understand and respond when someone snuggles with her or smiles at her.  (My heart!)

 Time feels like it's turned into some odd, different entity--there's never quite enough of it and it keeps slipping and slithering by almost without our noticing, so that suddenly the whole day will be gone and we're not exactly sure how.  Every day I give myself a set of specific tasks to accomplish outside of caring for her, and the list always seems manageable at the outset, and then all at once I'll realize it's been another twenty-four hours and I've gotten through only half my list.
 It's different than I imagined--for all the time we spent thinking about her beforehand, we could never have conceived of her--but also, so much better.  I keep staring at her and wondering how it's possible that just over a week ago she was still inside me.  She seems way too big and way too much a little person for that.  Her dad beyond adores her and watching him tell her so and play with her and take care of her is probably the most heartwarming thing in all the world.

Also, when she's sleeping or not actively cuddled in my arms I moon over pictures of her and think of new places (Facebook, Instagram, etc.!) I can spam everyone with them.

We love you, baby girl!  Welcome, welcome, welcome.  We're so beyond overjoyed you're here to be a part of our lives.




21 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kelly!! Audrey is just stunning. And all that hair! Love it! Congratulations times a million...enjoy settling in with your new little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt!! :) I'm enjoying it so much.

      Delete
  2. This post has me all choked up at the library. So beautiful. Congratulations to you and your lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kelly! She's absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Your beautiful Audrey is perfect. She truly does have gorgeous hair and the cutest little face I've seen in a newborn. Congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmie! :) I think so too, but I'm largely biased.

      Delete
  5. Oh Kelly, she's gorgeous. You did well, mama! Congratulations! It's just amazing, isn't it? The whole process. The whole idea that you created that person you just met. And I have to say that watching your husband become a father may just be as wonderful as becoming a mom. Congrats again, my friend. She's perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! So true. It is so amazing, and I can't believe she was inside me and is now a real person. Mind-boggling. And fathers to newborns are just crushingly sweet.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, Kelly. What a lovely post! Audrey is one beautiful little girl, and I love the name you chose. Enjoy this time with your little one! *hugs*

    As a side note: I'm still trying to wrap my mind around delivering a 10+ pound baby - um, WOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridgid! :) And yes, I'm glad the doctors were so wrong about her weight (they expected her to be under 8), because if I knew in advance I think I would have given up before I started!

      Delete
  7. Hello my dear Audrey! Congratulations on such a beautiful girl. And 10 lbs? Girl, you are my hero!! That, and you look so happy in your photos with her :) I used to watch Jillian sleep and I would miss her so terribly until she woke up. Continue enjoying all the precious moments you have with her, as I know you are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! :) I am SO happy--she's amazing, and I can't believe she's mine. I know what you mean about the missing!!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Kelly! What a beautiful baby!! :) Treasure these times--they grow up too quickly. There's nothing like the feel of your baby sucking on your nose. My 19-year-old refuses to do that now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin! :) Hahah, I don't blame your 19-year-old, but yes, it already seems like she's growing up too fast for my liking, and it's only been ten days!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Mama! Audrey is beautiful. Enjoy this time with her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Kelly! She Is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's absolutely gorgeous, Kelly! That hair, that pretty face, those tiny little fingers! Well done... :-)

    And please....spam away. We want more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kelly, she's beautiful!!! And I absolutely love the name Audrey - so classic and perfect.

    Congratulations to you and J. - I hope you both enjoy every moment with her.

    And keep taking those pictures, because I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this post?! Welcome to the planet Audrey!! Congratulations Kelly and family!! A wonderful wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete